As I don’t drive nor I like to walk back from a grocery store lugging heavy bags home, so, I find myself in short of fresh fridge items sometimes that make me feeling ‘insecure’. Things like lime, lemons, chillies and fresh herbs (I am staying in an apartment and no balcony to grow any greens *sob*) are playing quite a crucial role in my cooking.
When I received a €10 e-voucher from a giant supermarket chain for online shopping and delivery. I immediately jumped at the offer to try out. After a day of waiting, a delivery guy descended at our door step with bulky items and fresh produces to make me feeling secured again, at least for a while until the source depletes again. Everything seemed fine until I noticed the invoice received charged me at €10 extra.
From the time saved from making a trip to grocery store, I had to use it to type out a long and detailed price breakdown to the customer service to claim back the difference.
Anyway, let’s look at what I have whipped up today using the delivered goods.
- 6 g of fresh coriander
- 200 g of mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 250 g of chicken fillets, cut in chunks
- 1 – 2 fresh red chillies, sliced or chopped
- 1/2 lime
- Sauce mixture: 1 tbsp dark soya sauce, 1 tbsp light soya sauce, 1/2 tbsp oyster sauce, a dash of fish sauce
- After cutting up the chicken fillets. Marinate them with 1/2 lime juice, 1/2 grated lime zests, a dash of soya sauce and 1 tsp over of sugar. Leave them aside for about 30 minutes.
- If using mushrooms. Pan fry the mushrooms (in 1/2 tsp of chopped garlic and some pepper) until brown and then set aside.
- Set a wok with drizzles of vegetable oil on medium high. When the oil is hot enough, toss in shallots and garlic to cook until aromatic.
- Then, add in chicken chunks to stir fry until firm which then followed by the cooked mushrooms.
- Add in the sauce mixture to coat the chicken evenly. Check the taste. Add in a dash of water if the sauce gets a bit dry in the midst of stir frying.
- Join in red chillies and coriander (leave some aside for garnishing later on) to finish off briefly until it’s fragrant.
- Serve the dish hot topped with some more fresh coriander leaves and sliced chillies. Serve it with steamed rice.