I managed to make this dish with my mum’s help. My forever loving mum always helped to fillet the cod and freeze them. During her weekend up to our place, she will deposit not only freshly frozen cod fillets, also, fresh produces like onions, gingers, herbs and the likes. I’m blessed. Thank you mummy.
- *Chilli paste (Sambal)
- Cod fillets (or any white fish fillets)
- Red onions
- Course black pepper
*Chilli paste (Sambal)
- 8 fresh long chillies, 5/10 (depends on the hotness preferred) small chillies
- 1 knob of ginger
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 8 shallots
- 2 tbsp of light veg oil
- salt to taste
The chilli paste could be bottled up for other uses, not to be used all here.
- Chop up the above ingredients in a blender-manageable size then blend them up in a food processor. When the red paste is done,then followed by three shakes of salt and mix in manually.Leave aside.
- Have the cod fillets cleaned and pat dry. Rub large grain sea salt onto the fillets. Then, rub the previously prepared chill paste all over the fillets. Lay out aluminum foil over a deep baking tray, lay down the seasoned fillets onto the tray.
- Sprinkle sliced red onion over the tray of fillets together with shakes of coarsely ground black pepper and dried herbs (optional).
- Cover the baking tray with a layer of foil making sure the fish doesn’t dry out in the oven.
- Preheat the oven at 200°C, bake the fish for 15 mins first. Take out the tray to leave out the top foil. Then, put the tray back into the oven to be browned for another 5-8 mins.
Serve it with any potato dish you like. Here I had a comforting buttered mashed potatoes.