One of the popular dishes for tofu is called Ma Po Dou Fu (tofu in hot bean sauce). Presented here is a twist, I would like to call it Hot & Sour Tofu Stir Fried. It contains Thai and Chinese fused flavour. Hot and spicy still with additional tinge of sourness and crispness from lime.
Ingredients (Serve 3)
- 1 box of firm tofu (~ 750g), cut in cubes of 2 cm X 2cm X 2cm
- 2 tbsp of Tom Yum paste + dissolved in about 200 ml of water
- 1 stalk of bashed lemon grass
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1-2 wedges of lime
- 1 handful of dried shrimps
- 2 tbsp of fish sauce
- 1 fresh chilli, chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- Sesame seeds
Interested to carry on after seeing the ingredients? If so, be my guest and read on..
- Soak the dried shrimps in hot water, set aside. Chop up the garlic, chillies & coriander, set them aside in individual bowls. Cut the firm tofu in cubes and leave aside.
- At this stage, the shrimps should be rehydrated in the hot water. Drain and chop them up, set aside.
- Heat up a wok or a pot with light veg oil until hot.
- When it starts to smoke, add in garlic, stir around quickly and turn the heat to medium simultaneously.
- Add in the chopped shrimps. Followed by bashed lemon grass and Tom Yum solution.
- Stir the ingredients around until aromatic.
- Now, add in the tofu cubes to coat with the Tom Yum concoction in the wok.
- Season with fish sauce. Depending if you like the dish to be more moist or dry, add in more or no water accordingly.
- Stir the tofu gently to coat on medium heat (try not to break up the tofu)until all the flavour being soaked up.
- Just before serving, squeeze some lime juice over the dish, quickly stir the contents to mix.
- Dish it up. Garnish with chopped coriander, chopped chilli and sesame seeds.
- Have it with a bowl of plain Jasmine rice. Enjoy!