Don’t worry, I am not going to introduce food dye here into the noodles. All I added was a colourful combination of mix veg to pimp the instant noodle which usually has negative connotation. At least, mix veg makes the instant noodles a little healthier.
I bought the instant noodleson their own, without individually packed with flavourings and all. Normally they come in a pack of 5 from the local Asian store. There are healthier versions out there like no MSG, no preservatives and etc. So, instant noodle is not so bad after all.
Ingredients (Serve 2)
- 2 bars of instant noodles
- 1/3 of frozen mix veg from a bag(I used Green Isle Asian Stir Fry which includes carrots, red onion, water chestnuts, long beans, baby corns. Good selection and pretty fresh.)
- Dark sauce: 1 tbsp of oyster sauce, 1 tbsp of light soya sauce and optionally, 1/2 tbsp of dark soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons of chilli paste*
- 1/2 tablespoon of chilli oil (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 fresh chilli, sliced or chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
* Chilli Paste (for 1 small bottle)
- 10 fresh chillies OR 6 fresh chillies & 4 bird’s eye chillies
- 8 shallots
- 1 small knob(half of thumb size) of ginger (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of light veg oil
- Add a dash of water to thin the paste out if it turns out too thick
- Blend the above mentioned ingredients in a blender and it’s done!
- Blanch (well, undercook it first because they will continue to cook while being stir fried) the noodles briefly for 1 minute in salted boiling water so they are well separated. Drain and quench them, leave aside.
- Heat up a wok with two tablespoons of light veg oil until it smokes.
- Toss in half of the shallot to stir until aromatic, then add in garlic.
- Before garlic turning brown, add in frozen mix veg straight away to cook until crunchy. Take the cooked veg out and set aside in a bowl.
- Add in another tablespoon of light veg oil, when the wok is heated up. Toss in chilli paste to stir through until fragrant.
- Then, add in the cooked noodles and drizzle the dark sauce and chilli oil over the noodles evenly.
- Using spatula, coat the noodles evenly with the seasoning.
- Toss in cooked veg prepared in point 5 to mix evenly.
- For the finishing touch, sprinkle sugar over the noodles, followed by salt and white pepper to taste. Again, stir around to mix the flavour in evenly.
- When the taste is satisfactory, serve it with chopped spring onions and fried shallots.
Also, you could always fry an egg aside to serve with it. Enjoy while it’s hot!