Made this to feed good 5 people on Saturday brunch. White sauce smothered over pasta stirred in with browned chicken chunks and sautee mushrooms. But, with something else which I thought was the highlight, yet, it is not seen at all in the bake.
That would be garlic oil will which was first ingredient to start off. I pan fried chopped garlic (about 1 bulb) as the side condiment for another dish later on, the remaining olive oil left would be infused with garlic aroma.
Garlicky White Sauce
- 100 ml of garlic infused olive oil
- < 100 g of plain flour
- 800 ml of organic whole milk
- 2 handful of grated mature cheddar
Have the oil on medium heat. Add in plain flour and stir into the oil until it forms a paste. Then, add in milk and start beating. Turn the heat up to maximum while beating the sauce until it thickens up. Add in grated cheese, keep beating until the consistency is smooth.When the sauce comes to boil, off the heat. Set aside.
- 1 box (~ 250 g) of button mushroom, sliced
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 400 g of penne
- Under cook the penne, drain and set aside in the casserole dish.
- Sautee chicken chunks with olive oil, black pepper and a pinch of salt until browned.
- Add in sliced mushrooms to sautee.
- Drain the mushroom sauce to add into the white sauce otherwise discard it.
- Mix the sautee ingredients into the pasta dish.
- Pour the freshly prepared white sauce over the pasta and ingredients.
- Top it off with grated cheese and/or breadcrumbs (a bit burnt in my case as you can see in the pic).
- Bake it for 25 mins until the top is golden brown.
- Serve while it’s hot!