It’s getting warmer (minus the rain). We all want to eat something lighter, something cooler, something smaller. You bet, sushi it is. I started off making the simplest form of sushi, not the fresh one with exepensive cold fresh fish slices.
For my humble kitchen and budget. Mine was made of canned tuna, canned salmon covered in lemon & wasabi mayonnaise and sweet corns. The only dearer item was the prawns.
- 1 bamboo roller mat
- 1 plastic / Wooden Spatula
- 1 large surface deep pot (plastic/wooden)
- 1 bamboo fan OR just a clean hard page
- a very sharp knife
Ingredients (Serve 4)
- 1 can of tuna steak
- 1 can of wild pink salmon
- 1 box of cold blanched prawns (~ 180 g)
- 1 can of sweet corn kernels
- 1/2 of a cucumber, sliced in thin small strips
- 3 cups of sushi rice
- 4 slices of sushi seaweed sheets
- 4 big dollops of mayonnaise + Half a lemon for juice only +3 squeezes of wasabi paste. Beat up these items all together lightly with a fork and set aside.
- 4 tbsp of sushi seasoning vinegar OR Rice vinegar + Sugar+ Salt (click here)
Note: There is a good and complete range of the above mentioned ingredients stocked in Asian grocery store.
I learnt it from here. There are so many good video instructions out there.
Anyway, you could mix and match the items in the filling. The above ingredients were my version. Thought to share. I intend to make a better sushi with better ingredients (when I save up enough). Enjoy!