I made these fried tofu cubes out of curiosity of testing Panko (Japanese Bread Crumbs) texture as I just bought a pack (340g) at €2.50 from Asia Market. The ingredients randomly put together..
Ingredients (Serve 3)
- 1 cup of corn flour (add more accordingly if you have more tofu)
- alternatively, skip the corn flour/starch, replace it with a bowl of beaten egg
- 1 /2 cup of Panko (add more accordingly if you have more tofu)
- 1 box (~ 750g) of firm tofu, cut into 2 cm by 2 cm by 2 cm
- Cut up the tofu into small cubes, sprinkle salt over them.
- Have a deep pan on medium high containing enough cooking oil to cover the tofu cube’s surface.
- Dip the tofu into beaten egg then dip it into the bowl of panko OR into the corn flour & panko mix.
- Then, gently lower the crumbed tofu into the hot oil, one by one.
- When the cubes starts to turn golden colour, take them out onto a tray layered with kitchen towels.
- Sprinkle a bit more salt over the golden tofu cubes while resting on the tray for about 5 mins before consuming.
They are delicious on their own or dipped in your favourite sauce!
Panko (you don’t even need to store them in the fridge) is definitely much crunchier than the usual breadcrumbs.