First time baking muffins, and chocolate is naturally my first choice. Bebe checked up recipes on chocolate chip muffins, and found one where we have all the ingredients in stock except the chocolate chips and nuts. Then, I remembered the nearby convenient store selling Galaxy milk chocolate bar at only €1 this month, instantly we decided to adopt milk chocolate instead, chopped it up into small pieces as a substitute of chocolate chips. They work and turned out gorgeously. Compared to the original recipe, not only did we substitute the milk chocolate for the chocolate chips and did without the nuts, we also used a tad more milk.
Ingredients (Converted to SI units)
- 250 g of plain flour (2 1/4 cups)
- 45 g of cocoa powder (3/8 cup)
- 300 g of sugar (1 1/3 cups)
- 2 g of baking soda (~1/2 tsp)
- 7 g of baking powder (~1 tsp)
- 2 g of salt (~1/2 tsp)
- 320 ml of milk
- 1 egg
- 30 ml of vegetable oil
- 5 ml of vanilla extract (~1 tsp)
- 150 – 200 g of chocolate bar, chopped up
If using a standard muffin tray, this concoction is good for 20 to 24 muffins, depending on how much you put in each muffin mould.
1. Sift the (red items) flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a medium bowl.
2. Stir the (blue items) milk, egg, vegetable oil and vanilla extract together in a large bowl.
3. Then mix the dry ingredients into the large bowl (of wet ingredients) and beat well.
4. Add the chocolate pieces/chips into the mix and stir well.
5. Grease the moulds all around with soft butter. Then, fill muffin cups 3/4 full. And if you want, you can poke a chocolate piece on the top of the unbaked muffins.
6. Bake for 20-25 min in a pre-heated oven at 175°C.
And look at these dainty yet decadent chocolate muffins, they are delicious too!
The muffins were a success with the “hungry ghosts” around the house, and they couldn’t believe that the total cost of all ingredients is under €3 (including electricity, excluding labour), which works out to be 12.5¢ for each muffin – well worth than any muffin that you would buy at any supermarket or cafe.