Ditch the Chinese take-away black pepper beef! Dish up one of your own with good quality lean beef and real ingredients without any MSG ‘toxication’.
I couldn’t say this is 100% MSG free as oyster sauce contained some traces too, at least, you know what exactly is in your Chinese dish made by yourself.
- 2 tbsp of rice wine
- 300 g of lean steak, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 stalks of spring onion, white parts cut in 3 cm length
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 bird’s eye chilli (optional), chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp of light soya sauce (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 1 tsp of salt (optional, to taste)
- Slice the beef thinly, rub through with a pinch of salt and a shake of black pepper, set aside.
- In a wok or deep pan, heat up 2 tbsp of light oil on medium high heat.
- Toss in onion and then garlic to stir fry until fragrant. Dash in rice wine to be reduced for about 30 secs.
- Then, add in soya sauce, oyster sauce, black pepper, chilli (if any) and spring onion to concoct up the black pepper sauce.
- Throw in beef slices to stir through until they are cooked and evenly coated with the sauce. Add salt to taste here.
- Plate it hot and savour it with a bowl of boiled rice. Mmmm…..
This is a pretty simple and robust dish, you could replace beef with chicken, fish or even mixed vegetable. From here onwards, it’s only up to your imagination.