Away for a week on another eat-and-shoot plus errands trip abroad.
Sharing one of my all-time favourite comfort dishes of mine here :)
Will be back in a bit ….
Ingredients (for 2)
- Gnocchi ready made of about 200 g (100 g per person) – from Meidi-ya supermarket
- 200 ml of heavy cream
- 6 strips of bacon, cut into bite sized before crisping them up
- 1 cup of bite sized broccoli (optional)
- Ground black pepper and sea salt to taste
- 2 poached eggs
- A few shavings of Parmesan / Grand Padano to garnish
- 1 pinch of saffron
- 1 tbsp of chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp of chopped shallots
- The ready-made gnocchi is a gift if you do not want to make them from scratch, drop them into boiling water for about 10 minutes or less until chewy, drain and set aside.
- If having broccoli, add them into the same pot of gnocchi to blanch for about 1-2 minutes, drain together with gnocchi.
- On a frying pan, add in a few drizzles of olive oil on medium heat (becareful not to let it smoke).
- Add in chopped shallots followed by garlic to stir fry until aromatic.
- Slide in the bacon bits until crisp. Take out half of them to set aside on a kitchen towel.
- Lower the heat, drizzle in the heavy cream to warm through.
- Season the cream sauce with salt and pepper now. Add in saffron now to stir in evenly.
- While waiting for saffron’s colour to seep through the cream sauce, poach the eggs, and drain them on the kitchen towel to absorb excess moisture.
- Combine the sauce well with the blanched gnocchi and broccoli. Season more if needed.
- Serve it warm, gently place a poach egg onto the dish, then sprinkle the crispy bacon bits (set aside just now) onto the dish.