Being a potato junkie I am, it’s no surprise that my favourite pasta type is gnocchi.
The one made of potato of course.
So, I cooked out typical 1 kg bag of store bought potato, knead it in with flour and some seasoning then freeze!
The dough can be kept for a few good months. Recipe here.
I found that Meidi-ya Japanese supermarket at the basement of Liang Court has a good brand of gnocchi going for about SGD4.90 at 500g. With that, I whipped up saffron cream gnocchi before.
- about 2 cups of gnocchi, boil it in water and drain well
- 2 sticks of aubergine, cubed, season with salt & pepper and coat with olive oil. Cover them in tin foil and bake for ~25 minutes under 180 deg C until tender.
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 cup of grated cheddar (or combination of your favourite cheeses), for topping…mozarella slices would be even better
- In a shallow frying pan, sweat out chopped shallots followed up chopped garlic until fragrant.
- Toss in the cubed tomatoes to sweat until just tender.
- Add in the baked aubergine cubes prepared beforehand to stir in.
- Season now.
- Add the boiled gnocchi to mix in, season again if needed.
- Transfer them to a baking dish, top it off with your favourite cheeses (and some cubed butter for more flavours).
- Bake it for about 15 minutes under 180 deg C until the top turn golden brown.