This is the first Taiwan entry, and I will start off with a popular street in Taipei – Yong Kang Street.
Dongmen MRT would be the stop to get yourself to this street dotted with old school eateries, and also tasteful fashion shops and tonnes of little characteristic cafes.
Ding Tai Fung
Lao Zhang Beef Noodle
The beef soup here was light and on the sourish note with the addition of tomaotes.
The chewy handmade noodle was great.
Overall, a good bowl but not the flavourful deep flavour I’m looking for.
Another xiao long bao contender to Ding Tai Fung on the street (around the corner from Ding Tai Fung) is Kaochi shop. Serving Shanghainese eats.
The pan fried buns were pretty good, fragrant crust at the bottom with Chinese rice wine scented and juicy minced meat within.
La Douceur Patisserie
We didn’t managed to cafe hop in this area at all, managed to stop by this homegrown patisserie the day we left for Ximending stayover.
Yong Kang Beef Noodle
All together, we spent 5 nights in Taipei – 3 nights near Daan Park (near Yong Kang Street) and 2 nights in Ximending.
So all these foods you see above were staggered between the 3 nights we spent in this area.
Stay tuned, more sights and eats from Taiwan to come.
Summary of Yong Kang Street eat list
- Yong Kang Beef Noodle – No. 17, Street 31, Jinshan South Road Section 2, Taipei. directly opposite Jinhua Primary School)
- Smoothie House – No.15 Yongkang Street, Da’an District, Taipei 106
- Lao Zhang Beef Noodle – Ai Guo Dong Lu 105 @ Intersection of Li Shiu Street (near Yong Kang Street)
- La Douceur Patisserie – No. 223, Jīnhuá St, Daan District, Taipei City, Taiwan 116
- Ding Tai Fung – (Original shop) Xinyi Road Sec 2 (start of Yongkang St)
- Kaochi – No. 1 Yong Kang Street